Kosher restaurant, Kosher wine, Kosher food, Kosher supper (1881)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 30 01:05:08 UTC 2002

   I haven't seen "pogrom" used to describe the 1881 disturbances, but I'll
get to that at another time.
   "Kosher restaurant" received big play in the JEWISH CHRONICLE (London).
I'll look in the AMERICAN HEBREW for America's first "kosher restaurant,"
which probably followed in the 1880s soon afterwards.
   OED has later entries like this under an overly broad category of "kosher
shop."

(Feb?) 1881, THE JEWISH CHRONCLE, pg. 13, col. 4 ad:
PARIS--("Kosher" in Hebrew--ed.) RESTAURANT.
   Madame VEUVE LEVI.
   RUE, GEOFFROY MARIE, 5,
Near the Boulevards Montmartre, Paris.
New and highly comfortable establishment.

25 March 1881, JEWISH CHRONICLE, pg. 10, col. 1:
   Everyone knows the story of the Pole who obtained a pair of false _Payas_
so that he might appear in them in Prussian Posen and evade the scissors in
Russian Wilna. (...)
   ...permission should be given to the congregation to supply _kosher_ food
to the Jewish recruits. (...)
   ...and gave at the same time another proof of the truth, "every country
has the Jew it deserves."
(OED has 1898 for "payos," from Zangwill...Does Fred Shapiro have this famous
quote from Berthold Auerbach (1812-1882)?--ed.)

20 May 1881, THE JEWISH CHRONICLE, pg. 6, col. 2 title of letter to the
newspaper:
   THE KOSHER RESTAURANT COMPANY.

20 May 1881, THE JEWISH CHRONICLE, pg. 16, col. 2 ad:
   WEIL'S
IMPERIAL ("Kosher" in Hebrew--ed.) RESTAURANT
132, HOUNSDITCH.
NOW OPEN.

24 June 1881, THE JEWISH CHRONICLE, pg. 15, col. 2 ad:
   ("Kosher" in Hebrew--ed.)
KOSHER RESTAURANT CO. (LIMITED).
15, UNION COURT, OLD BROAD STREET.

1 July 1881, THE JEWISH CHRONICLE, pg. 4, col. 1:
   WINE MERCHANTS.
_JAMESON & SONS_, 85 Mansell Street, E.  Importers of ("Kosher" in
Hebrew--ed.) Wines.

29 July 1881, THE AMERICAN HEBREW, pg. 125, col. 2:
   _KOSHER RESTAURANTS._
   Many of our readers are doubtless unaware of the fact that while in this
country little attention is paid to the dietary laws by the multitude of
travelers, and particularly by commercial travelers, in England it is quite
the contrary.  Wherever one goes, one or more Kosher boarding houses are to
be found...
(A reprint of THE JEWISH CHRONICLE's article about London's Kosher restaurant
follows--ed.)

2 December 1881, THE AMERICAN HEBREW, pg. 25, col. 2:
   IT is to the credit of the Young Men's Hebrew Association that such
efforts have been made to secure a Kosher supper for those who attend the
Chanucka Ball.