Madrasah...; Stedman medical words

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 3 14:50:31 UTC 2002

KVAS

Konstantin Mihailovic (b. ca. 1435)
MEMOIRS OF A JANISSARY
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1975

Pg. 3:  They celebrate for three days and go about nevertheless without
drinking wine nor having any _kvas_.

(Forget this one--I was tired.  OED has 1553, then 1608 for "kvass."  The
transliteration on the opposite page has "kwasu"...The copyright page on the
book doesn't indicate it's older than 1963, but MISS JEMIMA'S SWISS JOURNAL,
a Thomas Cook tour book, has a "26th June 1863" date on page 5--ed.)

STEDMAN MEDICAL WORDS

   The good people at Amazon.com have sent me an alert for a Stedman medical
word book.  Thomas Lathrop Stedman is given as the editor of all these books:

STEDMAN'S PSYCHIATRY/NEUROLOGY/NEUROSURGERY WORDS
STEDMAN'S ABBREVIATION, ACRONYMS & SYMBOLS
STEDMAN'S MEDICAL SPELLER
STEDMAN'S SURGERY WORDS
STEDMAN'S GI & GU WORDS, WITH NEPHROLOGY WORDS
STEDMAN'S PATHOLOGY & LAB MEDICINE WORDS
STEDMAN'S EQUIPMENT WORDS
STEDMAN'S ONCOLOGY WORDS
STEDMAN'S PLASTIC SURGERY/ENT/DENTISTRY WORDS

   Thomas Lathrop Stedman died in 1938.
   For a dead man, he sure is one very busy editor!