Radishes & Tomatoes ("Reds")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 4 03:50:57 UTC 2002

   We have our "apples" (red on the outside, white on the inside) and "oreos" (black on the outside, white on the inside).  I found the following interesting, but I don't know how widespread it was.

SIX PRISONS AND TWO REVOLUTIONS:
ADVENTURES IN TRANS-CAUCASIA AND ANATOLIA, 1920-1921
by Oliver Baldwin
Garden City, NY: Doubleday, Page & Company
1925

Pg. 192:
   "We must keep Communist discipline.  No perfect state can exist with people who forget brotherhood."
   He told us that the amount of "radishes" far (Pg. 193--ed.) outnumbered the "tomatoes," and when I asked what he meant, he replied that the former were only "red" on the outside, and the latter were "red" all through.