linguist like to argue with (or criticize) non-linguists, too

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Wed Jun 5 16:23:04 UTC 2002

"James A. Landau" wrote:

> >Perhaps this is the installation where the Army researches and develops
> >it's formidible acronyms?
>
> Wash your mouth out with soap.

Sorry, just having some fun at the expense of the "Defense Language
Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC) and Presidio of  Monterey
(POM), [which] is the primary foreign language training institution
within the Department of Defense (DoD)".  Of course, I knew that these
are all initialisms and not acronyms.

> LTC Butler knew the rules, and knowingly violated them.  I have no tears for him.

Which could lead to some frame- or event-level questions - What
compelled him to take this out of the frame of interpersonal speech and
into the frame of a 'letter to the editor'?  How did the facts that this
language act was likely to result in sanctions, and that the topic did
not directly intersect his professional position, play into his
decision-making?  Did his proximity to retirement make him feel it was
appropriate or safe for him to participate in the body politic in this
manner?  Was it merely bad judgement on the part of a frustrated
Democrat in the military, or was it a calculated event (and if the
latter, to what end)?  However this worked, no tears here either.