Turkish national epithets (1801)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 8 17:13:35 UTC 2002

A SURVEY OF THE TURKISH EMPIRE
by W. Efon
the third edition
London: T. Cadell
1801

   I don't know the dates of the first two editions.  There's much in this book, but I found the epithets very interesting.  The last (gypsy-chingani) adds to my work on gypsy names.
   The first and third column entries are in italics, but I'm too lazy to do that and I've only got a few minutes.

Pg. 192:
   EPITHETS which the Turks apply to those who are not Osmanlis, and which they often use to denominate their nation.

Albanians...gut-sellers...(giguirgee)
Armenians...t-rd eaters, dirt-eaters, also, pack-carriers...(bokchee)
Bosniaks and Bulgarians...vagabonds...(potur)
Christians...idolaters...(purpurest)
Dutch...cheese-mongers...(penirgee)
English...atheists...(dinsis) i.e. having no religion
Flemmings...panders...(felamink, pezevink)
French...faithless...(fransis, imansis)
Georgians...louse-eaters...(bityeyedsi)
Germans...infidel blasphemers...(gurur kiafer)
Greeks of the islands...hares...(tawshan)
Italians or Franks...many-coloured...(firenki, hassarrenki)
Jews...mangy dogs...(chefut)
Moldavians...drones...(bogdon, nadan)
Poles...insolent infidels...(fudul guiaur)
Russians...mad infidels...(russ, menkius)
Spaniards...lazy...(tembel)
Tatars...carrion-eaters...(lashyeyedgee)
Walachians...gypsies...(chingani)