still silly and off-topic

Thu Jun 13 14:56:36 UTC 2002

Jim,

Yes, I suspect this baseball-cap wearing is US in British eyes,
although its symbolism may have changed from "typical American" (as
in the Wandafishflick) to implications of hip-hop culture. Before
that latter development, the redoubtable Prof. Trudgill went around
annoying us Yanks by asking:
Q: "What do you do to make a yank drop 50 degrees of intelligence?"
A: Turn his baseball cap around backwards.

Of course, I may have the numbers wrong.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages