-og words

Mon Jun 17 20:12:50 UTC 2002

At 01:04 PM 6/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
>here's verification of Charles's speech from another Atlantan.
>
>only 'dog' has the vowel of 'caught' for me, of the -og words.
>I don't have the merger otherwise, i.e. don't use /a/ in all, straw,
>bought, but some of my students do.  some think it sounds funny
>though.  they are mostly from metro atlanta.
>and 'got' does indeed have the (monophthongal) vowel of 'ride', and seems
>to be an anomaly among    -ot words for me too.  for those who are not
>native southerners, you should know that this is a FRONT vowel, not the
>low back 'ah' sound as it is often caricatured, intentionally or not.
>
>Ellen

I learned this last lesson from Natalie Maynor, who corrected my
monophthongizing of /ai/. I naively used low-back 'script a' and she said
"No no, it's [a], i.e., 'print a', not higher but farther front.

I don't understand why you'd use the fronted 'print a' when imitating
hillbillies.  Just which hillbillies do you have in mind?  Southern Ohio
"hillbillies" don't monophthongize to [a]; they use a farther back
semi-rounded vowel, midway between 'script a' (ah) and 'backward C' (O, to
use the symbol previous writers have used).  And this may indeed be an
extra phoneme in this area, as it is in Pittsburgh and western PA and
eastern Canada (not to mention England).