Jack Buck's "That's a winner!"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 19 07:44:26 UTC 2002

   Sports broadecaster Jack Buck has died.  He wrote an autobiography titled
THAT'S A WINNER!--his catchphrase.  I've been looking around for other
catchphrases, but I can't find them.
   I'll go through his book when I have time.
   From today's NEW YORK TIMES obituary (which re-titles his autobiography
without the punctuation):

Jack Buck, Measured Voice of Cardinals Baseball, Dies at 77

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

ack Buck, whose nearly 50 years as the voice of the St. Louis Cardinals
positioned him to describe the baseball exploits of Stan Musial and Mark
McGwire and to work alongside his son, died yesterday. He was 77.. (...)

Those national jobs led to some of his best-remembered calls, including Game
1 of the 1988 World Series. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Kirk Gibson,
the Dodgers' star slugger, struggling to walk on two injured legs, came up as
a pinch-hitter to face Oakland's Dennis Eckersley.

"Gibson swings and a fly ball to deep right field," Buck said. "This is going
to be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson and the Dodgers have
won the game, 5-4. I don't believe what I just saw!" (...)

"The people at CBS know nothing about baseball," Buck wrote in his 1997
autobiography, "That's a Winner" (Sports Publishing).