O.P.s

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Wed Jun 19 17:02:56 UTC 2002

--On Wednesday, June 19, 2002 12:49 pm -0400 Gareth Branwyn
<garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> The other night, my wife and I were in a bar where most of the crowd was
> in their 20s and 30s. A couple in their late 40s/early 50s walked in and
> my wife said: "Ah, there are some other O.P.s." I'd never heard this and
> had to ask. "Old people," she sniffed. "I can't believe YOU'VE never
> heard this!" She said that maybe it's a musician thing, but her
> bandmates use it all the time.

Around here, the near-equivalent of 'senior citizens' is OAPs ('old age
pensioners').

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844