next store (= next door)

Sat Jun 22 20:56:42 UTC 2002

Labov has an article (or presentation?) somewhere on this kind of
misanalysis, doesn't he?  I can't find it right now, but maybe someone else
can.  I hear a shift of final consonant to initial position in the
following word (the impetus for Labov's study, I believe) all the time on
local radio, and also on NPR.