Jack Buck's "That's a winner!"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 23 20:43:32 UTC 2002

Laurence Horn wrote:
>At 11:25 AM -0500 6/19/02, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:
>>
>>I grew up in St. Louis with Jack Buck. He had the most unmistakable voice
>>in broadcasting and radio will be less without him.
>>[quoting some obituary:]
>>  >From the 1985 World Series he is often remembered for the "Go Crazy Folks,
>>Go Crazy!" jubilant cry at the game and series winning home run.
>Can anyone clarify this reference for me?  First of all, it was
>Kansas City that won that series (and the Cardinals that lost), and I
>suspect Buck was enough of a homer [in the 'subjective', not
>'four-bagger' sense] not to have exulted quite that jubilantly at the
>result.  Second, the series-deciding 7th game was something like 9-0
>(Saberhagen pitching the shutout), so there was no 'game and series
>winning home run'.  Perhaps the playoffs (NLCS) preceding the series,
>when the Cards beat the Dodgers on Jack Clark's homer, IIRC?

By the third time that I saw the SportsCenter retrospective on Jack Buck, I
finally figured out that this call was from the end of game 6 of that
series. Ozzie's homer capped a come-from behind rally and forced a game 7.
I suppose I *could* check retrosheet, but I *should* weed my veggie garden.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963