No Show Socks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 25 18:05:25 UTC 2002

NO SHOW SOCKS

   The big story in today's (Tuesday's) WALL STREET JOURNAL, page one, center column, is "no show socks."  They're "low-rider" socks that can't be seen to everybody, but hey, you're still wearing socks.
   I'd call 'em "stealth socks"...Not to be confused with when Bill and Hillary's cat Socks doesn't show up.

MISC.

   Greetings from the Seattle airport.
   I thought that the Thomas Mount work was used, but I just didn't find it in an online OED search.
   The latest YANKEES MAGAZINE on the newsstand (March 2002 is the date they try to hide) has a history of the Yankees' 100 yerars, starting with the 1900s.  My work--which they didn't acknowledge when I submitted it to them--is used without payment and without credit.
   David Shulman also saw that article about Don Foster, and I told him that yes, Foster was the guy I submitted his Washington Irving finding to and who didn't respond.  Today's NEW YORK TIMES corrects:  "He is Richard Kennedy, not 'Mr. Richards.'"  Four days for this?