Alaska Glossary

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 26 16:42:03 UTC 2002

   Greetings.  It appears that I'm still in Anchorage, but that'll change in
a few minutes.
   Check out www.madeinalaska.org.  If you want me to bring something home,
like Moose Droppings or a Moose Mixer, tell me now.
   The State Library is FIVE MILES out of town!  I don't have time to go.
The Library of Congress microfilms newspapers from at least two of each
state's biggest cities.  Alaska wasn't a state in the 1800s, but I'll try to
do the work at the LOC, including researching  Menzies' Journals.
   LIFE'S A FISH AND THEN YOU FRY: AN ALASKA SEAFOOD COOKBOOK (2002) by Randy
Bayliss I'll get to later when I have time.
   HOW TO SPEAK ALASKAN (1993) is still sold here.  I bought it two weeks ago
on Amazon's Bookfinder or Bibliofind, and the shipping cost was almost as
much as the book.  And it didn't arrive in two weeks.

MY FIRST POCKET GUIDE
ALASKA
by Carole Marsh
Gallopade International, www.thealaskaexperience.com
96 pages, paperback, $6.95
2001

Pg. 94:
      ALASKA GLOSSARY

bear paws:  stubby, rounded snowshoes
bunny boots:  white, insulated boots for below-zero temperatures
cabin fever:  what folks get when they've been in cold, damp, cramped
quarters too long!
Chilkat blankets:  beautiful ceremonial blankets worn by Tlingit Indians
Dyea, Glacier, Hyder:  boom towns, now ghost towns
fjords:  naroow sea inlet bordered by steep cliffs
kayak:  watertight Eskimo skin boat
masks:  ceremonial masks made and worn by Alaska's Eskimos, Aleuts, and
Indians
mukluks:  soft Eskimo boots made of animal skin and fur
muskeg:  grassy bog or swamp land
Outside:  where all other Americans live, also Lower 48
panhandle:  southeast Alaska
parka:  one-piece, hooded pullover coat made of caribou hide and wolf and
wolverine furs
sundog:  optical illusion, one or two colorful circles around the sun