IBM ad

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 27 02:38:04 UTC 2002

Yeah--two-page spread in today's NY Times too--a great shot.   But!   the
most common US pronunciation of halcyon is missing--   /'hael si an/--  All
three-syllable words with first syllable stress from the Greek ending in -on
have changed from
/- at n/ to /-an/ for most Americans (paragon,  Marathon (the small town near
Cortland, NY is still /- at n/ for my father), Pantheon, Babylon, Amazon,
Myrmidon, Xenophon, -- and my research shows that the same thing is now
happening in the UK as well, though they hung onto schwa for longer.   The
interesting thing is that Bible names maintain the schwa-- Solomon, Simeon,
Gideon,  except for Lebanon (though Lebanon, NY in Madison Co. again shows
schwa for older speakers).

Dale Coye
The College of NJ