Query: Dialect Ten

Thu Jun 27 14:18:44 UTC 2002

On 6/26/02 17:44, "Grant Barrett" <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG> wrote:

> Please respond to the original sender as well as the list, not just to me.

She followed up with this, which explains what "dialect ten" is supposed to
describe:

i'm taking a linguistics class at my university and we were presented with a
sentence:

"mark's shirt needs ironed."

we all thought it was rubbish, but the instructor assured us that it was
indeed a dialect, dialect ten, and that
he'd grown up in the area of the US where that was considered a fine
sentence.  however, he didn't tell us
where dialect ten was from.

--

Apple Macintosh Technical Support in New York City
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
http://www.worldnewyork.org/