An initial 4A N2...?

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Jun 28 18:50:20 UTC 2002

--On Friday, June 28, 2002 2:39 pm +0000 "James A. Landau"
<JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:

> You have some awfully polite e-correspondents.  Turning 7734 upside down
> to read "hELL" has been around since long before LCD's were invented.

Indeed, when I was in the 3rd grade, a classmate (I'm tempted to name and
shame!) told me to write down her phone number, 7734 (in my town, you
didn't have to tell people the prefix, since there was only one).  So I
did, on my spelling book, and she turned it upside down and said "look, you
wrote a bad word, I'm going to go tell Mrs Nelson".   Once she got to the
teacher's desk, she merely asked to go to the lavatory, but I nearly died
of anxiety-induced heart attack in those few seconds.

Scarred for life,
Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844