Non-native English?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Jun 29 01:07:46 UTC 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Michael Quinion wrote:

#The message, with its attached file, is an example of one type of a
#nasty virus (strictly a trojan) called Klez. The message sizes are
#typically about 130Kb, so it's a real hog on bandwidth. The size is
#accounted for by its having its own mail server built in.
#
#It has the particularly nasty habit not only of sending itself to all
#the names in your address book (if you use MS Outlook) but of sending
#such messages faked up to look as though they come from people other
#than yourself. I get about 20 copies a day from infected subscribers,
#plus several bounces from systems which think I have sent copies out.
#(So the person at AOL may not in fact be the sender.)

Indeed. I have been getting reports recently of Klez-infected mail,
allegedly from me, to several lists I'm on and addresses I've never
heard of.  Since my stone-age email access makes this virtually
impossible (as confirmed by my ISP), it seems certain that Klez has
lifted my address from someone else's address book (or plural) and
spoofed it as the sender.

-- Mark A. Mandel, who nevertheless screened his windows machine for
   Klez; it came up clean, "no infected files found"