Request: 1885 evidence of "highball"

Richard Gage rgage at INTRAH.ORG
Sun Mar 3 06:57:21 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Gerald Cohen <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:

> In a 7 Jan. 2001 message Barry Popik mentioned that his earliest cites of highball (the drink) are from 1885 and added "See archives." I can't find the relevant message however. I'd be grateful if he, upon returning from his travels, or perhaps any other ADS member would send me the
> information. (I sometimes overlook the obvious). OED's earliest attestation is 1898.
>
> This is for a working paper compiling the ads-l treatments of the term, particularly two of Barry's. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
>
> --Gerald Cohen

Typo?  According to the message you cite, Barry’s “earliest cites are 1895,” not 1885.  I’d be intrigued, though, if you should happen to discover a connection between “highball” the drink and either “highball” the poker game or “highball” the railroading term for “flooring it.”  (See
OED definitions below).
[Excerpt from 7 Jan. 2001 Barry Popik message
< http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101A&L=ads-l&P=R4868 >]:

“Originated at University Club Back in 1888 According to R. C. Magill Who Went to Work at St. Louis Club as Boy But Now Manages Raquet Club in Missouri  City--Naming of Popular Drink Erroneously Ascribed to Others

“THE Highball, avers R. C. Magill, manager of the Raquet Club in St. Louis, and himself a venerable institution in that city, originated at the St. Louis University Club back in 1888 (My earliest cites are 1895.  See archives--ed.)”
[OED definitions]:

HIGHBALL, n.
1. A game, a species of poker, played with balls and A BOTTLE-SHAPED RECEPTACLE.

HIGHBALL, v.
a. intr. To give a locomotive driver a signal to proceed; also transf.
b. To go or travel at speed (const. it or with adv.).
c. trans. To drive (a locomotive or vehicle) at speed.