"Shyster" & the Gold Rush; New Zealandeze

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 4 06:17:16 UTC 2002

SHYSTER (?)

   Gerald Cohen and others should check out:

GOLD!  GOLD!  GOLD!:
A DICTIONARY OF THE NINETEENTH-CENTURY AUSTRALIAN GOLD RUSHES
by Bruce Moore at the Australian National Dictionary Centre
Oxford University Press
2000

Pg. 142:
_shicer_ Also variously spelt, e.g. _schisser_, _shiser_, _shycer_.  An unproductive digging, a SHAFT or HOLE that produces little or no gold, a BLANK, a DUFFER.  (Transferred Australian use of British slang _shicer_ "a worthless person," in turn from German _Scheisser_ "a defecator, contemptible person.")

(Citations from 1852--ed.)

NEW ZEALANDEZE

   I'll have some time on Thrusday, assuming I don't die or have lasting whiplash, to check the 1926 NZ newspapers in Christchuch.  The NZ Dictionary has 1927 for both "Pavlova" and "Anzac Biscuit."

MOLENBERG BREAD--unfortunately, a brand name in Auckland.
CARDOPTION--seen as one word at a Mobil station, for "card option."
INDONESIAN RICE--seen here.  Tons of Google hits, but OED didn't even enter "Mexican Rice."
F.O.D.--Fish of the day.  Often C-O-D, especially "blue cod."
GOLD RUSH ICE CREAM, BUZZ BARS, CHOCOLATE FISH, MARSHMALLOW PEOPLE--more stuff seen here.

SARAH HENDERSON'S GUIDE TO KIWI SLANG--http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sarah/content/slang.html

AUSSIE/KIWI SLANG--http://www.geocities.com/SOuthBeach/Sands/1398/slang.html

NZ ENGLISH TO US ENGLISH DICTIONARY--http://nz.com/NZ/Culture/NZDic.html

NEW ZEALANDESE:
A TRAVELLER'S GUIDE TO THE KIWI LANGUAGE
DICTIONARY OF WORDS & PHRASES
by H. Hayward and T. Hayward
Nelson: Hayward Publications
1976