getting clobbered/getting skunked

Billionbridges.com translation at BILLIONBRIDGES.COM
Mon Mar 4 19:16:08 UTC 2002

Sports terminology:

"Getting skunked" means your team doesn't score at
all, to which my own understanding and the ADS-L archives
attest. However, on another email list a colleague asserted
that "getting clobbered" meant the same thing.

I protested that "getting clobbered" merely meant that the
score was lopsided, regardless of whether the losing team
scored 0 or not, and that "getting skunked" was reserved
for scores where the losing team got 0, but now I wonder
if I'm not operating under a Canadian regionalism? Would
anyone say a team "got skunked" if the score were, say,
18-2?

Don
Don Rogalski and Toni Kuo
"A Billion Bridges"