River Names, 16th Cent

carljweber carljweber at MSN.COM
Tue Mar 5 00:22:27 UTC 2002

I said
> > "Chiogigua," clearly the name of a mighty mythical
> > river in the late 1500s
> > emptying into the North Sea. For a great shot, see:
> > (Click year 1593)
> > http://www2.biblinat.gouv.qc.ca/cargeo/accueil.htm

Mr. Smith said
> According to the map you cite, Chiogigua clearly is a
> city or town on the Obilo River, which empties into
> what one might suppose to be the Northwest Passage.

I say
What could these words mean -- they must be Latinate. Someone who can
conjugate verbs in 16th century Franco/Iberian languages I hope will make my
day soon. They are perhaps cognate with French "couler" or "choir."

BTW, What Mr. McCafferty has said is that "Chiogigua" was a Muskogean word
picked up by the Spanish on the northern Gulf of Mexico. He thinks the
Spanish then got the Portugues to use "Chiogigua" on their maps for a region
up by the mythical North Sea. More surprising things have happened.

Carl Jeffrey Weber
Chicago