The Big Apple

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Mar 5 01:48:49 UTC 2002

   There is no evidence that Aqueduct Racetrack was ever referred to
as "The Big Apple." All "big apple" attestations from 1921-1927 make
sense only if the reference is to the NYC racetracks (as the big time
in horse-racing) or to big-time horse-racing in general. Here's a
sample quote (John J. Fitz Gerald writing in the _Morning
Telegraph_,Feb. 18, 1924, p.7/3; spotted by Barry Popik):
"The Big Apple. The dream of every lad that ever threw a leg over a
thoroughbred and the goal of all horsemen.  There's only one Big
Apple. That's New York."

    Note too that the earliest "big apple" quotes all refer to the NYC
racetracks, not NYC as a whole. That's why we always find "on the big
apple" rather than "in the big apple." It was "on" (not "in") the
racetracks.

---Gerald Cohen