The Big Apple (one more thought)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 5 02:47:00 UTC 2002

   Greetings from a horrible internet machine in the Hermitage at Mount Cook.  I bungeed this morning and did not die.
   Clark Whelton used to write for the VILLAGE VOICE, and was press secretary for David Dinkins when we corresponded in 1992.
   "Big A" was coined by a DAILY NEWS track writer in the 1950s, and it comes from Big Apple.  Nowhere in my large searches of the DAILY RACING FORM and the MORNING TELEGRAPH did I see this in the 1920s or 1930s or 1940s.  A WWI letter would be significant, if one did exist, but could also be a nonce usage.

Barry Popik