Piggyback & Pigs in Mud

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 5 21:08:16 UTC 2002

PIGGYBACK PLANT (continued)--I said that OED has 1946 and "pickaback," and was told by Peggy (Margaret) Lieb, a fellow traveller, that this is correct.  She named it from the picka-back airplanes at that time.  Her father was Werner Lieb, and she said that "piggyback plant" is in his NEW YORK TIMES obituary, about 1976.  (I'll check this when I return to NY on Friday.  I have about 24 hours in the air and of airport waiting to look forward to--ed.)

PIGS IN MUD--With Mud Cake and Mud Pie seen all over, it's natural that I should spot a Pig in Mud.  It's a chocolate tart with a drawing of a pink pig on top.

FAMOUS DENHEATH CUSTARD SQUARE--Seen at this internet stop, outside of Mount Cook, near Tikapu.

BIG A (continued)--The longtime (40 years!) secretary of the NY Racing Association told me that Gene Ward of the NY Daily News coined it, and that's what my research bore out.