strip "pididdle," anyone?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Mar 6 03:01:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Richard Gage wrote:

#PIDIDDLE: a car with one functioning headlight.  Also, a roadtrip game
#that rewards the player who spots the pididdle first.  In my father's
#day, the winner got a kiss.  But these days, there's a variant called
#"strip pididdle." Shouldn't "pididdle" be in the OED?

My first and only contact with this word and game was, hmm, about 1965,
NYC, on a long bus ride with a girl from northern NJ. But the game as
she described it was played between a gal and a guy. (We were both in
our teens.) If he called padiddle he got to kiss her; if she called
padiddle she got to slap him. A paradiddle was a car with both
headlights dead, and allowed him to (try to) rape her, her to (try to)
kill him. I think the paradiddle rule was optional!

We didn't play, but we had a great conversation the whole length of the
trip.

-- Mark A. Mandel