highball--an unclear meaning

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Mar 6 05:43:03 UTC 2002

>>10 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 3--The set, the Greenwich Village
>>  apartment of Nora, a "square-eyed 'highball'" ("What's that?" "Baby, if you
>>  knew what it was, you wouldn't be a highball.")....

I guess I'm a highball too: this is not crystal-clear to me.

What kind of lingo is used in the remainder of the piece? Is this supposed
to be exaggerated "beatnik" jargon, or what?

Free association suggests "four-eyed highbrow" or more fully "square
four-eyed highbrow goofball/screwball/oddball" = "unfashionable eccentric
intellectual".

I think "square-eyed" itself typically = "stupefied by staring at a screen"
(i.e., "under the influence of TV or movie or computer [monitor] abuse"),
but occasionally perhaps it means something like "wide-eyed" (perhaps a
calque from Spanish "con los ojos cuadrados" or so?) ....

-- Doug Wilson