"skunked" and "dirty katie"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Mar 7 01:51:09 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Clark Whelton wrote:

#Last summer in Maine, while playing the card game "hearts," two of the
#players referred to being hit with the queen of spades as being "skunked."
#This was a first for me.  I've always heard the queen of spades called
#"dirty katie," a term unknown to these players.  Is "dirty katie" fading
#away?

Oh, that takes me way back! I remember the queen of spades in Hearts as
"the Black Bitch" (I think) and "Dirty Dora" (I feel more sure of).

-- Mark A. Mandel