Kokomo (II)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Mar 7 18:37:49 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Marc Picard wrote:

#Mark A Mandel wrote:#
#> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Marc Picard wrote:

#> #Given that in his Dictionary Salzmann gives the plural as /wóxu:/, there's

#I don't use Windows, the diacritic I was referring to was a simple / '/

Now that I am using a Windows machine I can see the character as an
o-acute.

Let me instruct you in something of which you appear to be unaware.
In handwriting it is possible to add a diacritic to a letter by writing
it "on the same place on the line". Electronic text, however, in general
has no such option. An e with an acute accent is not composed of an e
plus an apostrophe, any more than a capital E is composed of a capital F
plus an underscore. Your o-acute is a single byte, decimal value 243 in
the ISO Latin-1 character set. Small o is charcacter 111, apostrophe is
39, and acute accent -- which is distinct from apostrophe -- is 180.

Small o-acute and the acute accent itself have values >127, which means
they are not guaranteed of transport in the Internet and are not
platform-independent.

-- Mark A. Mandel