Flagels (Flat Bagels); Piggyback Plant; April 1979 Bungy Jump

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 10 00:28:28 UTC 2002

FLAGELS (FLAT BAGELS)

   Today, I went to New City, New York (Rockland County) and met with my sister and the accountant to discuss taxes and estate matters.  I walked into a bagel shop in the Clarkstown Mall that sold a product called "flagels."
   The "flagel" appears to be a flattened, elongated bagel.  I haven't checked Nexis.  There are some Google hits, but surprisingly few.

PIGGYBACK PLANT (continued)

   Duane Campbell has kindly supplied me with places to look further.  "Piggyback" possibly was named in the 1920s or earlier.
   From the citation given to me by fellow traveler Peggy (Margaret) Lieb, in the NEW YORK TIMES, 10 September 1976, pg. D16, col. 4:

_Werner Lieb, a Horticulturist,_
   _Dies on Cape Cod at Age of 93_
   Werner Lieb,a horticulturist who had owned Lieb's greenhouses in New Rochelle, N. Y., from 1922 until his retirement in 1957, died Tuesday in a nursing home in South Yarmouth, Mass. (...)
   In this country, Mr. Lieb developed Lieb's winter marigold for florists and is credited with popularizing through his displays at the Grand Central Palace flower shows the bright green, bushy houseplant known as the piggy-back (Tolmia).  (...)
   In addition to his wife, the former Margaret Richter, he is survived by two daughters, Dr. Margaret Lieb of South Pasadena, Calif....

APRIL 1979 BUNGY JUMP

   From the TIMES of London, 3 April 1979, pg. 19, col. h:

_"Bubbly" for four in 120 ft bridge leap_
   A CHAMPAGNE celebration yesterday awaited four men whose April Fool's leap--using elasticated rope--from the Clifton Suspension Bridge cost them a night in police cells and a court appearance.
   The champagne was cracked by Chris Hiatt-Baker, 23, who claimed to have masterminded the stunt for Oxford University's Dangerous Sports Club.

("Bungy" is not used.  OED records the second jump that year, from San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.  Martin Lyster's THE STRANGE ADENTURES OF THE DANGEROUS SPORTS CLUB credits the Club with originating "bungy jumping."  The book has many interviews, but no footnotes.  Perhaps someone at Oxford University will read the student newspaper from April-October 1979?--ed.)