Mwa(h); Milord; Mild as Milk Punch

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 12 07:57:43 UTC 2002

   I forgot that NYU is on intersession hours and closes early this week.  I lost a week's valuable time researching the NY TRIBUNE.
   It's back to parking tickets.  I've got to jump off a bridge--no, I _did_ jump off a bridge.

MWA(H)

   I checked both "mwa" and "mwah" on Google.com, Deja.com, and the Dow Jones database.  Both forms should be in the OED for the sound of a kiss.  "Mwah" is perhaps a bit more popular.  "Mwa" gives you the Mystery Writers of America.

MILORD

   The OED has "milord" with the meaning "my lord."  Is that final?
   However, it also means a "Victoria"-type vehicle.  I was looking through Indonesia materials today and found it in at least two.  It's in the Making of America (Cornell) database, on the same page as "rice table."  Also:

JAVA:
THE GARDEN OF THE EAST
by Eliza Ruhamah Scidmore
New York: The Century Company
1922

Pg. 30:  ...comfortable "milords" or giant victorias...
Pg. 71:  ...we made triumphal progresses through the kanari- and waringen-lined streets in an enormous "milord."

MILD AS MILK PUNCH

   Was this a standard phrase?  Or was it "milk toast"?
   HONG KONG TO MANILLA (London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1859) by Henry T. Ellis has "looking as 'mild as milk punch'" on page 121.

PHILIPPINES PROVERBS

A VISIT TO THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
by John Bowring
London:  Smith, Elder & Co.
1859  (I think it's the same year and publisher as above--ed.)

Pg. 137:  Don't you know the proverb, "The Indian and the cane grow together?"
Pg. 224:  (The language is discussed.  There aren't many words in the language, but it's shown there are many words for "rice"--ed.)
Pg. 259:  _morinda_..._marsdenia_.  (Native plant names, not in OED?--ed.)
Pages 286-291:  (A whole chapter of proverbs is here, for whatever interest Fred Shapiro might have--ed.)