MWA! MWA!

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 12 23:20:19 UTC 2002

In a message dated 03/12/2002 9:04:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
einstein at FROGNET.NET writes:

> >Wasn't there a US actress or television performer who used "MWA" as a
>  >tag-line?
>
>  Miss Piggy's "Moi!"!!

Arthur Shulman and Roger Youman _How Sweet It Was, Television: a pictorial
commentary with 1435 photographs_
New York: Bonanza Books, 1966, ISBN 0-517-081350

Quotation from page 93:
referring to singer and television performer Dinah Shore
<begin quote>
...she perfomred with infectious enthusiasm and an unfailing smile, ending
every show with a "Mwah!"---a kiss thrown to the audience
<end quote>

"Moi" (French for "me") is not in the OED2.  I'll let you submit it, but you
could probably find an earlier usage than Miss Piggy.

     - Jim Landau