OED's latest "M" revision

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 14 07:49:53 UTC 2002

   OED's latest revision has just come out.  "Banoffi" is there.  Gosh, that was quick!
   No matter what anyone says, the OED works in random, mysterious ways.  For example, "cherries jubilee" is still not in the OED, long after I cited this glaring omission.  It was named in honor of Queen Victoria, of England.  The OED is her book, yet her dessert is still not there, over 100 years later.  "Banoffi" beat it?
   "Millionaire's salad"--a New Zealand dish--was added.  If you travel around NZ, you won't find this salad very often.  I sure didn't, and I looked.
   I could probably beat the 1967 "middle linebacker" easily.
   "Mile High City" is still not entered (nor the New Orleans "mile high" pie), but "Mile High Club" is.
   Just a few of the mysteries.