"out of pocket"

Joyce, Thomas F. TJoyce at BELLBOYD.COM
Thu Mar 14 21:52:25 UTC 2002

With reference to the question below, I first encountered "out of pocket" to convey unavailability at least 10 years ago in legal/financial speech here in Chicago, and I associate the person who used it with East Coast, rather than West Coast, circles.  It appears to be used as an intentionally vague expression designed to deflect, rather than invite, inquiry as to why the speaker is unavailable, as "you won't be able to reach me and let's not get into why because we're dealing with more important things."

Tom Joyce

_________________________

"My partner uses the term with reference to not being available by phone
or otherwise.  He will tell people that he could not contact them or
that they could not contact him because he was "out-of-pocket" for a
while (i,e - he was in California and incommunicado).  He says it is
West Coast slang (he is from the West and I am from the East), but I
just think that it' is the wrong usage.

Can anybody help us settle this matter?"

confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any further disclosure or use, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment is strictly
prohibited.  If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please delete it and notify the sender.