pretonic syncope in English

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Mar 15 00:17:57 UTC 2002

This appeared on the LINGUIST List. Please don't respond to me!

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large

        <<<<<

      LINGUIST List 13.687: Tenure Requirements, Eng/Pretonic Syncope

   Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:30:29 +0000 (GMT)
   From: Katalin Balogne Berces <bbkati at yahoo.com>
   Subject: pretonic syncope in English

Dear Linguists,

I'm looking for information on pretonic schwa-zero alternation in
English, e.g. police~p'lice, potato~p'tato etc. I'm particularly
interested in whether there are any constraints on its application,
e.g. in the quality of the flanking consonants. I haven't found any
detailed literature on this topic, so I would also be grateful for
references. Thank you in advance,

Katalin B. Berces