'touch wood' was: Re: the server is hallucinating

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 15 12:09:30 UTC 2002

I associate 'touch wood' more with UK and 'knock on wood' with the US.  but
there's no reason to trust my associations!

Lynne

--On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 8:18 am -0800 "A. Maberry"
<maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Alice Faber wrote:
>>
>> > Is there
>> > regional variation?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of. For what it's worth, I'm from the NY area.
>> --
>
> I've heard "touch wood" but more often "knock on wood" out here in the
> PNW.
>
> allen
> maberry at u.washington.edu

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844