Knock on Wood

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Mar 15 17:45:55 UTC 2002

>The pop song "Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd (backed by the MGs of Booker T
>and the MGs) made it to number 28 in 1966.  Funny, I always imagined that it
>would have climbed higher.  I remember it from my near infancy.  More of you
>might remember Amii Stewart's disco remake from 1977 that was played for
>years.

I hear that 1966 song still, occasionally. Never heard of the remake, nor
of Mr./Ms. Stewart .... out of touch with modern culture.

Never heard of "out of pocket" = "out of touch" + "off the clock" either
... until recently. I'm still skeptical.

I tell the kids that "knocking on wood" is just a superstition: you can
knock on anything handy ... I use my knuckle and my head usually.

-- Doug Wilson