Knock on Norwegian Wood

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Fri Mar 15 18:59:34 UTC 2002

Clark Whelton wrote:

> > I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
> > She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian wood?
> > She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere.
> > So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair.
> > I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.
> > We talked until two, and then she said, "It's time for bed".
>
> > She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.
> > I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath.
> > And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown.
> > So I lit a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian wood.
>
> Thanks for posting the lyrics.  In context, if "Norwegian wood" in the first
> stanza simply means Norwegian wood, it doesn't make as much sense as
> "knowing she would."  In the last stanza the usage seems to be a double
> entendre implying the singer's hopes for sex went up in flames.
>
> Clark

This is now the British Lyrics Society mailing list??

My take on the 2nd "Norwegian Wood" =? "knowing she would" (if indeed
this the intention of the author.....) is just that he is glad she split
for work.  I don't even want to touch the 'fire' in this
interpretation...

Of course, in 25+ years of listening to the Beatles, I still don't get
this song...