Shitty (1700-1774)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 17 01:32:31 UTC 2002

RAMBLIN' JACK:
THE JOURNAL OF CAPTAIN JOHN CREMER (1700-1774)
transcribed by R. Reynell Bellamy
London: Jonathan Cape
1936

   OED has 1924 for "shitty."  The word was coined by "E. Hemingway."
   The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "1920s+" for "shitty."
   This stinks!!!!
   I was going to copy the citation from this book today, but there was a long line at the NYPL copiers.  Ask me if you want more context for what follows...Ramblin' Jack liked to spell words his own way, which slowed down my reading...It appears that the ramblings were written in 1768.

Pg. 31:  ..."hore in hard at the Harse-hole"...
(A nautical saying, according to a footnote here--ed.)

Pg. 47:  ...Spell and Spell...
(OED has 1797--ed.)

Pg. 114:  ...puppy love...
(OED has 1834--ed.)

Pg. 143:  ..."Ramblin' son of a bitch"...

Pg. 154:  ...the old saying--"Nothing new on Earth or Sea."
(I thought it was "nothing new under the sun"--ed.)

Pg. 162:  ...the old saying--"One Scaley Sheep Spoiles a hole flock."
(I thought it was "one bad apple spoils a whole barrel"--ed.)

Pg. 200:  "Now our Wives pull bravly home, and the Bigest hoar holds on.'*
"An old sea saying, when a vessel was making a good homeward passage.

Pg. 220:  ...a Shitty pair of breeches.

MISC.

QUIROS' VOYAGES (1904 translation of 1595 voyages)--We've been down this road before.  It's just amazing that this book isn't cited.  For example, in the "macaw" entry, you could have it in the "etymology" pulldown, as the first cite and in parentheses, or as 1904--replacing the current 1904 cite.  As another example, see OED's 1819 "Zambo."  It refers you to "Sambo."  SOMEWHERE there, in some form, Quiros has got to be cited!

ST. PATRICK'S DAY (OFF TOPIC)--Zaro's Bread Basket was selling green bagels today.  Maybe I should call the Dept. of Health.

NADS 34.1--I knew about all these deadlines, and all this is on the ADS web site.  FWIW to the people who make these deadlines, NADS 34.1 was received March 16th (today):

Pg. 2:  March 1 deadline for Rocky Mountain, March 1 deadline for Midwest, February 1 deadline for South Central.
Pg. 3:  March 15 deadline for Language & Society at MLA.
Pg. 8:  Jesse Sheidlower will speak on "The Future of American Slang in the OED," on Thursday, March 14.