h in what and where

Mon Mar 18 22:22:30 UTC 2002

I heard Sandra Day O'Connor on NPR last week clearly pronounce /hw/
twice.  About 68? born in Arizona, I believe, grew up in West Texas (with
grandparents).  Dan Rather (east Texas), same age roughly, also has it.  My
understanding is that it is rapidly receding, with only the Deep South (and
maybe parts of Appalachia) retaining it regularly.  I don't think it's
class-based; not sure about race.  Britain, too, has apparently lost the
/hw/, even more than the U.S.