Pasta (1686)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 19 00:34:53 UTC 2002

THE TRAVELS OF SIR JOHN CHARDIN
INTO PERSIA AND THE EAST INDIES
(By John Chardin--ed.)
London: Moses Pitt
1686

   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1874 for "pasta."  This definitely says "pasta"--whether we would now name it that is another thing.
   The travels (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan--the cancelled September trip I have a credit for) took place 1673-1674.

Pg. 35:  _Padcha_ being a _Persian_ word...

Pg. 74:  The _Tartars_ stir up their corn and their Forrage, as do all the country people in the _East_, in deep Pits under Ground which they call _Amber_, or Magazines.

Pg. 75:  Our ships lading consisted in Salt, Fish, _Caveare_...

Pg. 81:  Their usual Grain is _Gom_: which is a sort of Grain as small as Coriander Seed, and very much resembles Millet. (...)
   This Past is very white; and some there is, which they make as white as snow.  They serve it upon little Woodden Peels made on purpose.  And this sort of Bread the _Turks_ call _Pasta_, the _Mingrelians_, _Gom_, being easily brok'n between the Fingers: but it is of a very cold and laxative Quality; nor is it worth any thing, after it is once cold, or when it is heated a second time.

Pg. 82:  ...Tunny Fish...

Pg. 83:  ...Lyons, Wolves, and _Chacalls_; which are Creatures much resembling Foxes, only that they are much bigger, and their Hair is much more thick and shaggy; and some will have this _Chacal_ to be the Hyaena of the Ancients.

Pg. 162:  ..._The more ye peel Garlick, the stronger it smells_.  As (Pg. 163--ed.) much as to say, the longer you delay to accommodate a wrangling Business, the more you intreague it.
(I couldn't find this proverb on Google--ed.)

Pg. 227:  The First was of all sorts of _Pilo_, or Rice boyl'd with Meat, of which they make several sorts of distinct Colours and Tasts.

Pg. 262:  ...Knick-Knacks...