Spin-In

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Mar 19 23:41:54 UTC 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, James A. Landau wrote:
>

> #"In Hebrew folk wisdom, a half-truth is said to be a whole lie"---I
> #have not heard this one before.
>
> I have; again, no cites. Shall I ask at shul? It may actually have a
> specific traditional attribution; a heck of a lot of our folk wisdom is
> in writing!
>
> -- Mark A. Mandel

Most sites agree that it is a Yiddish proverb (but see below). I found one
Yiddish version (on several sites), from a sermon on the web by R. Paul
Plotkin, Temple Beth Am, Margate, FL 2/7/97
<quote>
There is a great Yiddish
proverb that says, "A halber emes is a ganzer ligen" - "A half
truth is a whole lie."
</quote>

Courtesy of Jim's Favorite/Famous Quote/Axiom/Maxim site at
http://www.jimpoz.com/quotes/truth.asp

A half truth is a whole lie.
 Yiddish Proverb.

Half the truth is often a great lie.
Unknown

-------------------------------------
N.B. from USA datanet Wise Old Sayings
(http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/wosdirectoryh.htm)

Half the truth is often a whole lie. - Ben Franklin (1706-1790)

---------------
from http://www.hebrews1024.org/mwstudy012402.htm

To lie a little is not possible; whoever lies, lies a whole lie.

-- Victor Hugo
another
QUOTATION OF THE WEEK

"A half truth is a whole lie." (from The Big
Little Book of Jewish Wit and Wisdom)

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu