Swiss Cheese (1783) & Cretins & Chalets

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 20 12:48:41 UTC 2002

SWISS CHEESE & GRUYERE

   While OED does not have "Gruyere,"  I noticed that Merriam-Webster has it from 1802.  Yet, both OED and M-W have "Swiss Cheese" from 1822!
   "Swiss Cheese" is mentioned in a list of items in the PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE, 2 July 1783, found on the CD-ROM.
   Checking for "cheese" as a keyword, "Rhode Island cheese" came up.  "Cheshire and Gloucestershire cheese" was in the PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE for 11 March 1731.  These cheeses were mentioned most often, with the latter often as "Gloucester cheese."  OED has "Gloucester cheese" from 1802.

CRETINS & CHALETS

SWITZERLAND, AS NOW DIVIDED INTO NINETEEN CANTONS...
by A. Yost
London: J. Booth
1815

Greuyere Cheese, vol. 2, p. 109.

Vol. 1, Pg. 77:  These cottages are called challeys, and contain onl two rooms; one allotted to the family, the others to the cows.

GLEANINGS IN EUROPE:
JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
introduction by Robert E. Spiller
State University of New York Press, Albany
1980

Pg. 270 (1828):  The Valais has long had a painful notoriety for a race of miserable objects called _Cretins_ (accent over "e"--ed.), beings possessing the most disgusting likeness to our species, of which they are physical abortions, but deprived in a great degree of reason.
(Two paragraphs on this--ed.)

A THREE WEEKS TOUR IN SAVOY AND SWITZERLAND
Geneva: P. G. Redouble
1844

Pg. 24:  It (Martigny--ed.) is three hundred and thirty-six feet above the lake of Geneva.  You find here many _Cretins_; they are most deplorable and revolting sights, square heads; faces without an expression, dirty, and squalid; these creatures, supported by the sane inhabitants, drag on their most miserable existence, in great number at this place.

MONSTERS, INC.
2001 Academy-Award nominated animated film

MONSTER1:  You're a cretin!  (Pronounced like "petting."--ed.)
MONSTER2 (Voice of Billy Crystal):  That's _cretin_!  If you're going to insult me, at least get the word right.

(People from Crete--home of Minos--should be interested in this Swiss etymology--ed.)