Dept of Lower Culture: Fornificating

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 22 03:37:02 UTC 2002

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Steve Hicks wrote:
>
>>         And how can we talk about word-formation with
>>  "fornication" and not give a nod to "Californicate,"
>>  the degradation caused by refugees from the Golden
>>  State.  Is the term still in use ?
>>
>It is in Washington and Oregon. I've heard it in both states within the
>last couple of years.

P.S.  While virtually all the examples I've found on Nexis or
remember noticing over the years involve a hostility or skepticism
toward L.A.-type overdevelopment and sprawl, there was one that
showed more originality.  In an article in the South China Morning
Post, 12 April 2001, the concerns of cult film director Jean-Jacques
Beineix ("Diva", "Betty Blue") are described as follows:

"The answer for Beineix was to drop out of film-making almost
entirely. He made a few well-received documentaries - including Otaku
(1992), his look at Japanese men and their fixation with all things
cyber - but the bulk of his work came through his role as president
of France's
ARP organisation, looking after the interests of writers, directors
and producers. He pushed the French Government to introduce laws that
would protect the local film industry and limit Hollywood's attempts
to Californicate with French cinema."