Slang Word-Coiners

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Mar 22 15:59:57 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Grant Barrett wrote:

#On 3/21/02 22:25, "Mark A Mandel" <mam at THEWORLD.COM> wrote:
#>
#>      [...] "D'ohh!", which imho is well on
#> its way to full adoption. ISTM that one point in its favor is that it
#> expresses "Oh, I feel so dumb for making that mistake!" much more
#> concisely than almost any pre-existing expression. The only competition
#> is "Duh!", which can also mean "You are so dumb for not having realized
#> that before!", and in e-conversation (email, newsgroups, chat, etc.)
#> can't be disambiguated by intonation and facial expression.
#
#I'd like to point out Doy!, still in use, which is a harsher form of Duh!.

I don't know that one. "Duh!" in which sense, or both?

-- Mark A. Mandel