"at" at end of sentence

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 22 16:10:33 UTC 2002

I think I'm changing my mind.  I don't think the final "at" I've heard is
gratuitous at all.  I was thinking about it, and I'm not sure:

"Where's my tea at?, Where's the remote at?, Where's your coat at?"

is acceptable.  If the answer is simply "over there" or something.  I don't
think I've heard or used it that way.  It's always more:

"Where's the party at?, Where's the video at?  Where's that guy at?"

Where the answer would be something like "It's at home."  So it would be
something like [[thing] at [location]], which gives the "at" purpose (and
meaning).   I'll double check with the (non-linguist) locals this afternoon.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
(Where coal meets prisons at.)