Californicate

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Mar 22 19:08:48 UTC 2002

I can't speak for Jim, but I assume the Olympics would have led to
overbuilding, overburdening the local resources (e.g on water) and
more generally increased sprawl.  (Over)building up, as opposed to
out, is sometimes referred to as Manhattanization.  I don't think
CaliforniaNS moving into an area is necessary--

I have several students in my classroom right now and none of them knows the phrase outside of the Chili Peppers.  However, none of them knows what it means.  For me, the ONLY meaning involves a bunch of CA's moving in.  I had never even thought of the meaning with a place becoming like CA without the people.  This might be something to add to the worksheet.
Fritz

larry