Californicate

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Mar 22 21:16:56 UTC 2002

That's funny--I've always thought of Californication as the result, and the
influx of Californians more the agent that threatened to bring it about.
My first sighting of the word was on a "Don't Californicate Oregon" bumper
sticker, and it was probably in the early 70s.  When I moved back to Oregon
in 1989 after an absence of many years I noticed a difference in the way
people drive: faster and more aggressively.  One day I realized, sadly,
that this meant Oregon had indeed been Californicated.  McMansion
subdivisions are certainly part of it, too.  Are the hot tubs?  I'm not
sure of that, since it seems to me that all the connotations of
"Californicate" are negative.

Peter Mc.

--On Friday, March 22, 2002 11:08 AM -0800 FRITZ JUENGLING
<juengling_fritz at SMTPGATE.SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:

> I can't speak for Jim, but I assume the Olympics would have led to
> overbuilding, overburdening the local resources (e.g on water) and
> more generally increased sprawl.  (Over)building up, as opposed to
> out, is sometimes referred to as Manhattanization.  I don't think
> CaliforniaNS moving into an area is necessary--
>
> I have several students in my classroom right now and none of them knows
> the phrase outside of the Chili Peppers.  However, none of them knows
> what it means.  For me, the ONLY meaning involves a bunch of CA's moving
> in.  I had never even thought of the meaning with a place becoming like
> CA without the people.  This might be something to add to the worksheet.
> Fritz
>

> larry

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR