"at" at end of sentence

Sat Mar 23 13:04:19 UTC 2002

I believe in this useful reduncancy, and I'd even like to suggest a
motivating factor. Could normal sentence stress (which should fall on
"is") be possibly confused with contrastive stress (which on verbs
suggests "truth-value" questioning)? Notice that "Where's it at?"
allows contraction of "is" (disallowed without the "at" - "*Where's
it?").

dInIs (always muckin around in in phonology and prosody)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics