Schmutz & Schmalz (1797)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 24 00:27:27 UTC 2002

TRAVELS IN HUNGARY,
WITH A SHORT ACCOUNT OF VIENNA
IN THE YEAR 1793
by Robert Townson
London: G. G. and J. Robinson
1797

   I was looking for "goulash" (pre-1860).  I didn't find it, but I was adjudicating parking tickets all this week.  I've reserved a stack of wonderful books on Hungary to go through on Monday.

Pg. 3:  ..._Carus_, a disease common to university librarians.

Pg. 71:  Several birds of evil omen came hovering above me, particularly Owls and Goatfuckers...
(Probably "Goatsuckers," but that didn't make my eyes light up when I saw this on the page--ed.)

Pg. 77:  ..._zeguiners_ (gipsies).
(OED has 1841 for "Zigeuner."  Pg. 190 has "zigeuners or gipsies" and Pg. 248 has "ziguiners"--ed.)

Pg. 94:  ..._pusztas_, or cattle farms...
(OED has 1842 for "puszta"--ed.)

Pg. 116:  Every one occupying a whole farm, must annually present his landlord with two chickens, two capons, twelve eggs, half a _mass_ (about a pound) of _schmalz_ (butter that has been melted)...
(OED has 1935 for "schmalz"--ed.)

Pg. 122:  ...schmalz (melted butter)...

Pg. 142:  ...a _metzen_ (about two English bushels)...

Pg. 245:  ..._matelots_, or loose great-coats.
(OED has 1893 for "matelot" in its revised entry--ed.)

Pg. 265:  To the _Troken-beers_, or half-dried luscious grapes, Tokay, that is...

Pg. 376:  Like as _the take care of number one, and charity begins at home_, of an officious unfeeling friend...

Pg. 383:  ...Walzes...
(OED has 1781 for "waltz"--ed.)

Pg. 422:  It meant, what in Vienna-German is called _kipfle_; a small kind of roll shaped somewhat like a horn.

Pg. 422:  _Schmutzidum tempus_, for instance, is the common term used to express rainy weather; _schmutzig_ is a German word, and signifies dirty; it is therefore as if an Englishman in speaking Latin should say, _dirtydum tempus_.
(OED has 1967 for "schmutzig"--ed.)