Patois, Entrees, Hors D'oeuvres, Petit Pains, Bologna sausage (1763-1765)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 25 02:09:49 UTC 2002

TRAVELS THROUGH FRANCE AND ITALY
(1763-1765)
by Tobias Smollett
1766
Praeger Publishers, NY
1970

   OED cites this book 124 times, yet it STILL doesn't have wonderful stuff.  Antedates, second cites...

Pg. 46 (BOULOGNE, SEPT. 12, 1763):
   The _repas_ served up in three services, or courses, with _entrees_ and _hors d'oeuvres_, exclusive of the fruit, consisted of above twenty dishes, extremely well dressed by the _rotisseur_, who is the best cook I ever knew, in France, or elsewhere...
(OED has "entree" only from 1759.  OED has "hors d'oeuvre" from 1742, then 1771.  Rotisseur?--ed.)

Pg. 53 (same date):
   In the quarter of the _matelots_ at Boulogne, there is a number of poor Canadians, who were removed from the Island of St. John, in the Gulf of St. Laurence, when it was reduced by the English.
(The revised OED has "matelot"=sailor from 1847--ed.)

Pg. 58 (PARIS, OCTOBER 12, 1763):
   I can (Pg. 59--ed.) by no means relish their cookery; but one breakfasts deliciously upon their _petit pains_, and their _pates_ of butter, which last is exquisite.
(OED has 1841 for "petit pain."  OED has 1706 for "patees," and the next cite is 1768--ed.)

Pg. 79 (same date):
   ...the _petit-maitre_ ate of fourteen different plates, besides the dessert: then disparaged the cook, declaring he was no better than a _marmiton_, or turnspit.
(OED has 1754 for "marmiton"--ed.)

Pg. 87 (LYONS, OCTOBER 19, 1763):
   Before we left Paris, we laid in a stock of tea, chocolate, cured neats tongues, and _saucissons_, or Bologna sausages, both of which we found in great perfection in that capital, where indeed there are excellent provisions of all sorts.
(This would be OED's second cite for "Bologna sausage"--ed.)

Pg. 224 (NICE, NOV. 10, 1764):
   Their vernacular tongue is what they call _Patois_; though, in so calling it, they do it injustice.--_Patois_, from the Latin word _patavinitas_, means no more than a provincial accent or dialect.  It takes its name (Pg. 225--ed.) from _Patavium_ or Padua, which was the birthplace of Livy, who, with all his merit as a writer, has admitted into his history some provincial expressions of his own country.  The _Patois_, or native tongue of Nice, is no other than the ancient Provencal, from which the Italian, Spanish, and French languages have been formed.
(This would be an important second OED cite for "Patois," but it wasn't recorded--ed.)